Posts tagged library
Posts tagged library
The first photo is of my complete book haul from the Library Book Sale. I got tons of really great science fiction novels and the Watchman graphic novel AND the Sense and Sensibility Screenplay. Pretty awesome, right?
The second photo is a picture of my “I simply couldn’t help myself” finds. A Chose-Your-Own-Adventure Star Trek novel? How could I pass that up? Also, I wasn’t going to pass on a book with the word “Deathworms” in the title. Yeah, and The Lizzie Mcguire Movie is a not-so-guilty pleasure of mine. Now, I can sing “What Dreams are Made Of” whenever I want.
I went into my library’s little bookshop today. Came out with two books: Sprig Muslin by Georgette Heyer and Farthing by Jo Walton. Thankfully, I have enough empty space on my bookshelves for them. :)
- Realize library has all the books you want to read.
- Realize that checking out All The Books, while possible, will not magically generate more time to read them.
- Do it anyway.
brokenquill said: I love a bad girl! Hahahaha…whatcha pick up?
Not too much (at least for me). Bookwise, I got Leviathan Wakes by James S. A. Corey, Love at First Bark by Julie Klam, The Extraordinary and Unusual Adventures of Horatio Lyle by Catherine Webb, End of Your Life Book Club by Will Schwalbe, Bowl of Heaven by Larry Niven and Gregory Benford. Moviewise, I got Sarah Connor Chronicles Season Two, Alien, Murder Rooms, Doctor Who: Dreamland, and, for larks, John Carter. I doubt I’ll get to most of this stuff though. I have a book or two I really want to read from another library (I do limit myself to two libraries. There are actually like four different library systems in my area, but I get overwhelmed enough with two.), and I still have to finish the first season of Sarah Connor. So, we’ll see. I’m most excited about The End of Your Life Book Club and Alien so I’ll definitely get to those at least.
Talk about wild a crazy: I went to the library without a list today.
My 15 Favourite Quotes On Libraries
- It was good to walk into a library again; it smelled like home. ~Elizabeth Kostova
- An original idea. That can’t be too hard. The library must be full of them. ~Stephen Fry
- I do things like get in a taxi and say, “The library, and step on it.” ~David Foster Wallace
- Madam, a circulating library in a town is an evergreen tree of diabolical knowledge. ~Richard Brinsley Sheridan
- The library is inhabited by spirits that come out of the pages at night. ~Isabel Allende
- My grandma always said that God made libraries so that people didn’t have any excuse to be stupid. ~Joan Bauer
- Libraries are our friends. ~Neil Gaiman
- Book lovers will understand me, and they will know too, that part of the pleasure of a library lies in its very existence. ~Jan Morris
- I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library. ~Jorge Luis Borges
- She sounds like someone who spends a lot of time in libraries, which are the best sorts of people. ~Catherynne M. Valente
- If I have to spend time in purgatory before going to one place or the other, I guess I’ll be all right as long as there’s a lending library. ~Stephen King
- What better place to kill time than a library? ~Diane Setterfield
- The only thing that you absolutely have to know, is the location of the library. ~Albert Einstein
- Libraries are reservoirs of strength, grace and wit, reminders of order, calm and continuity, lakes of mental energy, neither warm nor cold, light nor dark…. In any library in the world, I am at home, unselfconscious, still and absorbed. ~Germaine Greer
- [His] library was a fine dark place bricked with books, so anything could happen there and always did. All you had to do was pull a book from the shelf and open it and suddenly the darkness was not so dark anymore. ~Ray BradburySource: Writers Write
Image: Street Art Utopia
In the library.
Went to the library book sale today. It was small, but I still managed to buy two books—Hyperion and 1916—for twenty-five cents a piece. That’s even better than my local library’s three paperbacks for a dollar.